Welcome to the website of the Friends of Milton Road Library
We are a group who support the Milton Road Library in Cambridge and want to ensure it stays open but also develops as a community resource.
Please click on EVENTS link on the left to see our upcoming events
New Plans for Library & Community Hub
A new set of plans were developed late last year for the replacement of Milton Road library. Those attached to the planning application at the end of June were subject to extensive criticism from local residents, from the Friends of Milton Rd Library, and from the city council’s Urban Design and Conservation officers. That application has been withdrawn. In response to the criticism there was a radical rethink and the new plans are substantially different.
- The scale and massing of the building is much reduced
- Only 7 flats above the ground floor are now proposed instead of 10
- The flats would be on top of the ground floor but separated into two buildings
- The proposed balconies and roof terrace have been removed
- The Ascham Rd front of the building would be moved further back from the pavement
- More of the trees would be retained
- The library and community facilities on the ground floor would be smaller than previously proposed but still slightly larger than at present
Work on the plans is still continuing with some further amendments being put forward. Regrettably it appears that the proposal to address the problem of the pavement’s blind corner where Ascham Rd meets Milton Rd is no longer in the plans.
The revised plans are on the City Council’s planning web site under reference 16/2060/FUL and are still the subject of consultation.
To join the Friends please complete a membership form available at the library or click here
Friends of Milton Road Library