History of the Library

Milton Road Library site is at the corner of Ascham Road and Milton Road, Cambridge CB4 2BD.

The original building was built in 1936 and served the community of Chesterton and Arbury in Cambridge until late 2017 when it closed for a period of redevelopment. It is expected to reopen in early 2019. In the meantime, there is a mobile library on the Ascham Road site to access services like book ordering and collection.

┬áThe library was fondly remembered by mathematician Andrew Wiles, who reportedly stopped off after school at the age of 10 and came across a book containing the as-yet-unsolved Fermat’s Last Theorem, inspiring him to pursue Mathematics. Wiles was to be the first person to solve Fermat’s Last Theorem, but not for another 23 years.

The library is owned and managed by Cambridgeshire County Council.